Pages

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Problems, Decisions, Oh My!



“You cannot solve a problem with the same mind that created it.”
-Albert Einstein

I love this Quote. The truth of it rings clear in my mind. If I have a problem in my life it will not get solved with the same state of mind from which it arose.

An example I can think of is I dislike my job. I am overworked and under appreciated. I am angry for my employer not appreciating my hard work. I complain to friends about how much I hate my job. The more I think about my job the angrier I get. I feel trapped. The moment I realize I can change it is when I see I can either talk to my boss about this or find a better employer. I feel empowered. I no longer dwell in anger I have moved my state of mind to a higher place, hence I am not in the same state of mind that the problem was created in.

This concept is even more important to let roll around in your mind when you have a mental illness. Situations like the one described are triggers for us. Sometimes I handle problem solving like a pro but other times I’d be better off letting my cat solve any of my life dilemmas.

Let's go even smaller on the problem solving scale; what do you want to do? I despise this question particularly because I used to be so indecisive. My husband would always want to know exactly what I wanted. Even small decisions seem like big problems when your minds ajar. I know my brain is fizzled when I get panicked when I can't make a simple decision. Let your brain rest and let it go.

Know when you can and can't do things. If you absolutely cannot see the problem in a different light than it originally started then drop it. This doesn't mean you should avoid everything that stresses you out but really know your limits. Sometimes we just can't do it, but that's okay.

I wrote an article about letting go which explains the benefits and importance for us to let go of as many attachments as we can. The less we are attached to the less we take personal and the less triggers we have. If you cannot move your focus out of how awful you feel about the situation let it go and come back later. The same concept is used in writing when editing and revising, write as much as you can then walk away. Let the project sit for a little bit (time is up to your needs) then when you come back you read it through new eyes. Those new eyes can see a lot you didn't see the first time. Same goes with handling situations.

Have you ever had something on the tip of your tongue to an answer you or someone asked? Like who was that guy with blonde hair in Tremors that they made a game out of? It's right there, you can't remember it. The more you think about it the more it drives you crazy. Then you give up and remember it right when you lay down to go to bed and you blurt out, “Kevin Bacon! The six degrees of Kevin Bacon. Oh yeah.” You got it. (Off topic, the six degrees of Kevin Bacon game is based off of the six degrees of separation concept, check it out it's interesting!)

I have learned that living with a mental illness takes ingenuity and efficient use of energy to maintain well being. It takes every brain cell we have left just to get dressed in the morning sometimes. If we practice making decisions from a better state of mind and or letting it go when we can't the more we will be able to maintain mental well-being.



No comments:

Post a Comment